Friday, November 18, 2011

Cooking Projects: Leche Flan

Being a housewife - which means stuck (and bored) inside the house most of the time - I've been trying a lot of things since I got married, one of which is cooking. Tim is a picky eater, even his family (especially his mom) can attest to that, so it is very challenging for me to come up with meals/dishes that will please him. I don't have any cookbooks at home, so I only rely on recipes from the internet, or sometimes I asked my mom-in-law for the recipes of some of Tim's favorite dishes.

Just this month, i asked for my mother-in-law's Leche Flan recipe. Here you go:

LECHE FLAN
(makes 3 oval llaneras)

homemade Leche Flan
(photo courtesy of Tim)
Ingredients: 
6-7 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 big can of Alpine Full Cream Evaporated Milk
1 big can of Milkmaid
6 tbsps of white sugar
3tbsps water

Materials:
Steamer
3 oval llanera 
vanilla / dayap rind (optional)
strainer

Making the Caramelized Syrup:
In a pan (I used a nonstick pan, since we only have that), dissolve 6tbsps of sugar in 3tbsps of water over medium heat.  Swirl the pan gently, and stir occasionally.  Note:  a light brown caramel color tastes sweeter, while a darker shade tastes bitter.  Pour the caramelized syrup in the 3 llanera , making sure to cover all the surface.  Let cool.   
Making the Custard:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the other ingredients: egg yolks, whole egg, condensed milk, full cream evaporated milk, sugar.  (I skipped the vanilla/dayap since we don't have any at home.)  Gently mix thoroughly using a wooden spoon or spatula to prevent the formation of bubbles.

- Strain the mixture when pouring in the llanera  to remove any solids.  Make sure to cover the llanera with an aluminum foil (I used a cling wrap kasi wala kaming a.foil sa bahay, teeehee -- it worked naman) to prevent the moisture from the steam to come inside the llanera.  You don't want your leche flan to be watery, di ba? :)

- Approximate Steaming/Cooking Time: 45 minutes.

- Note: you can check for the consistency by inserting a knife / toothpick in the center of the flan. If it comes out clean, then it is done already.

- Remove the llanera / mould from the steamer and let it cool at room temperature.

- Other people want their Leche Flan served right away. While others want theirs chilled.  If you're going to refrigerate your leche flan, make sure to cover it with cling wrap or aluminum foil.

- In unmolding your flan, run a knife or spatula around the edges to loosen it, then carefully invert the mould into a serving dish. 

- ENJOY. nyamnyam!!! :

3 comments:

hitokirihoshi said...

sarap naman! ito lang ata ang natutuhan kong lutuin na dessert, maliban sa polvoron and yema, and nakalimutan ko pa kung paano. hehehe!

i remember na naglalagay din kami ng calamansi para ata yun sa lansa o pabango. then mayroong technique para hindi naman butas-butas yung texture, na nakalimutan ko na naman. siguro nasa paghahalo nga ata hanggang mangawit.

mabuhay and happy blogging!

Jube said...

My mom & I tried to cook leche flan once (high school days ko pa 'yun I think). It tasted like real leche flan but turned out to be srambled egg look-alike.

Never tried it again. But I'm still happy I can cook! ;) Visit me at www.foodiescape.tumblr.com (promotion)

My foodiescape consist of my passion for food, not a passion for the food photography. Kita naman sa katawan debah? LOL!

Pwede mo din ito pagkakitaan Mommy Donna! ;)

Cookie Joy said...

thank you, thank you sa inyong dalawa. yes, tim told me about your blogs, will visit them in a bit. edit lang muna ako ng thesis, deadline eh. :)
i told tim na magdala ng leche flan sa office, kaso lagi nalilimot, naubos na tuloy. (or palusot lang nya yun para ma-solo nya yun leche flan, hahaha) :)

Post a Comment